We have a lovely, out of the way, county park near home. I regularly take the kids there. It is a personal favorite as it showcases my favorite landscape.
The Prairie.
This wild, untamed, big sky, sea of land has captured my heart. I think I first became enamored with the prairie when my folks would take family trips out west. I was even born there. When everyone was sick of the endless expanse of the Dakotas and eastern Montana, I was drinking it all in. Wishing for more. I relished in the exposure of wind, grass, storm and flower. There was something about stepping out in to the vast open grassland as it encompassed my small body. I still secretly wish to move back. Someday.
In the meantime I escape to my private little prairie. Share it with my kids. Hike the trails. Pick some of the grasses to place in the vase at home. Discover what has been growing from week to week and follow the cycles of the season. Take pictures so I can think of it fondly when its thirty-degrees below.
So...carry me back..where the wind blows free. What is your favorite land?

1 comment:
Unromantic as it sounds, my favorite land is right outside my office window: Nicollet Mall. It's no Michigan Avenue or Madison Avenue, but I love it. I'm a city boy - what can I say?
Post a Comment