Thursday, July 06, 2006

todzilla

I forget what living with a animal is like. Oh, let me clarify.

She is nearly 18 months old. Weighs a mere 19 pounds. But she can take the house down. We don't need to live in So Cal to experience earthquakes. We have our own at home. You need remodeling? We'd be happy to sub-contract her out. Don't like the color on your walls? She can fix that. Has her own pens and markers. Want the distressed look in your furniture. I know a way to get it done cheap.

How have I forgotten all of this? We've gone through this twice before. Must be selective memory. The animal discovered that she can climb anything, chairs, tables, cars. Its not uncommon to come around the corner of the kitchen and see her doing short sprints on the dining room table. Being 27 inches hasn't slowed her down. She copies whatever feats her older siblings can pull off. On Saturday nights she'll climb into the tub and run her own bath.

What a wonder baby. Somehow she's felt more like a 12 year old cat for the past year and a half. We've been under the delusion that we've had a nice tabby hanging about the house. She could hardly move. Didn't say or demand much. Drank milk. Toys were too heavy for her to drag around. Enjoyed just being held. Liked car rides. Ate off the floor. Easy liv'n.

But, alas, no more. One day we woke up to the fact that we now have another human in the house. Instead of the four of us, it feels much more like five. And instead of commenting that I have a son, daughter and baby. I know refer to them as S and the "girls". Sheeish.

I keep telling myself that I need to cope for another 18 months and then she should be able to dress herself and be potty trained. And she may even start to listen to us. Like the times you need a kid to do when they run down the driveway and out to the street and oncoming traffic.

And yes, she lives a charmed life. We laugh at her antics more. Have more patience with her. She gets away with more things than her siblings did. We try to remind ourselves that someday, we'll long to have a glimps of this era once again.

We'll maybe. I can't say, as I have to go as she's got a cup and the water running in the bathroom. Did I talk about the flood this morning? That will have to wait for another time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read this I was reminded of how you told me that three was so easy you were thinking about more. I was looking forward to the ease of three but I have not found the ease yet. This is hard work and I don't see it getting any easier, but she is worth it, they all are. good luck over there

Tina

Pam said...

It will get easier once your not so sleep deprived. Would that then be when they leave the house?! In spit of G's activity, I have to admit I'd still consider another.

But three is great.

NoOtherName said...

Surely not sweet little blonde curly Greta!?!

Hilarious! Can't wait to see the little squirt again and get to know her non-tabby-ness!

Miss you, lady. Hope you won't be gone too long.