Thursday, December 07, 2006

two dollar tree

Ok, I know I told everyone a week ago that I'd tell the story of the year I got a two dollar Christmas tree. So, here goes.

When we first moved hear we heard that you could, with a $2 permit, cut down a tree in the Chequamegon National forest, up north of us. I was intrigued and so, one weekday, during one of my few unplanned moments, I threw the kids into the car with a few snacks and headed north. I wasn't confined by distance or time in pursuit of the adventure; that sort of detail might taint it. After an hour and a half on the road the kids started to wonder when we'd get there. I wondered when we'd get there. I was becoming nervous about the available daylight that we would have, once we struck off into the woods. But the journey and excitement still blinded me. Finally, after two hours we pulled into Hayward and made it to the Forestry Department with minutes to spare to pick up the permit. I casually asked where we might be able to cut a balsam or spruce. The woman looked at me incredulously and said, "Ma'am, have you ever been in the area? The forest covers over a million and a half acres." Still acting, cool and casual, I replied, "So, can you recommend a grove of trees nearby that I cut from within the next half hour before I loose daylight?" Visibly impatient, she rattled off some directions about 20 minutes away that included many, I suspected, unmarked logging and county roads. Ever the optimist, and reciting the directions over in my head so as not to further humiliate myself by writing them down, I ran back to the car and headed further north. Frankly, I was nearer to Lake Superior than I was home. Finally I saw forestry signs and turned off a dirt road. This looked like a good spot and I hoped I wasn't about to chop down on private land. In desperate need of hurrying before it got darker, the kids and I spotted a trail and headed off into the woods. I knew I couldn't go too far in or I might never come out. About fifteen minutes later we saw Our Tree. Granted it there wasn't much to choose from as I had only managed to find a grove of sickly looking red pine and oak trees. I found a charming, but very Charlie-brownish tree. A red pine about fifteen feet tall. I think it had a 3 inch circumference and about 10 branches. No matter, I could haul it, get it on the car, and we'd be back on our hours long journey in no time. The kids were pretty relieved to get this all over with and get back to the warm car. I was thrilled that my efforts had been a success. I must admit it was fairly relieving for Andy to see me finally pull into our drive at about eight-thirty at night. I think called him to tell him where I was going before I left.

What is my reflection after that experience? This year, after doing a few years of getting our trees at a farm, we are once again headed north. Only this time I've had the foresight to send away for the permit, and maps. Andy is coming along this time, and we'll be staying overnight so that it doesn't need to turn into four hours of driving. Should be pretty great. And although permits have gone up in price, I'm still pretty happy. I'm gonna head out into the woods and get my five dollar tree.

2 comments:

dt said...

That's rich! All I can think of is that opening scene in "Christmas Vacation" where the Griswolds trudge into the wild to chop down the family tree. "Audry will see the tree later, dear. Her eyes are frozen."

Pam said...

Yes, that is very funny. I had forgotten that one...

I'm sure Andy could pull off the Chevy impersonation just fine. Maybe he could do Chevy singing Bing's "White Christmas" just for me.