For the past few weeks we have been raising caterpillars. A week ago we released six Mourning Cloak butterflies. I was hopefull as the kids found 13 caterpillars to bring into the house. So we set up a cage, watched and waited. I was unsure if we'd get through a entire cycle as it seems as though many small creatures brought into our home never make it out alive.
But alas, the chrysallis were formed and 12 days later we had six beauties.
Now we are hosting five Monarch caterpillars. I discovered them while watering my small prairie flowers. In the past two days we have watched the wonder of three green, jewel-like chrysallis form. The bonus with this group is that we unknowingly brought in a baby on some of the leaves. "She" is currently about 1/8' inch long. Now the waiting has begun again and in about 14 days we should have Monarchs. Everyone is diggi'n butterflies around here.
Stop by if you'd like to see the nursery.

2 comments:
Can you get a tax credit for raising buterflies in your home? Just a thought...
I guess we have big hairy ones here in Texas now and they're makin' the news! Worry about them getting into the cotton. I think these turn into lovely moths...eewww.
Post a Comment