Wednesday, April 30, 2008

building

I read something today that struck me especially as I take on this task of homeschooling. I don't say too much about homeschooling in and of itself. It is something that God is slowly growing in my heart as I willfully surrender this season of my life to him. Frankly, it isn't very easy.

But I felt encouraged when I read something today. I sometimes feel like the invisible mom, taking care of various needs of my family, preparing lunches, working on spelling, wiping noses, putting away laundry, showing how to make a bed. I realize many of you are so familiar with this routine, you could do it blindfolded.

I read about how cathedrals are built. It takes years to create these masterpieces and so much so, that very few are made. They are created by workers whose names will never be recorded, with serious detail considered to areas that most will never see. The workers will spend much of their lives building something that they might never see finished. They knew they worked years at a task that they might not receive any credit for. And so it is with this task before me. Raising my children. Choosing to spend most of the hours in my day with them. Teaching. Training. Disciplining. Playing. Working. Growing. Building. Much like the details and care taken into creating an awe inspiring cathedral, so is my task in my ministry to my children. Even though I feel alone each day, busy with the work set before me, what helps to drive my passion is that I know God sees. I am not invisible to Him. He sees my care worn hands. He sees when my patience runs thin. He knows the end result and I place that confidently in His hands. Even though I often feel invisible, I am not invisible to my Father.

Thank you Lord for helping me by your grace to train these children for your Glory. Help my work not to be for nothing. Help me to remember that you see what I do, because it is all for you anyway. Thank you for reminding me that masterpieces take time, care, patience...and years.

Genesis 16:13 "She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her, "You are the God who sees me," for she sad, "I have now seen the One who sees me."

7 comments:

Kara Jo said...

What a beautiful post, Pam. Encouraging. And yes, He sure does see you. You are doing a fine job, good and faithful one. Building lasting treasures as you invest daily in your children.

-V- said...

Lumpy throat. Wow, Pam - beautiful. Thank you, friend...

Kerri said...

Love this post, Pam. What an encouragement to me today!
:)

theswamphare said...

What a great testament to teaching our kids at home. Cheryl is my hero. She does all of the thankless and difficult planning; she has the diligence to keep at our call to homeschool. I am awed by the dedication of the moms in our co-op. It is one thing to pursue an objective with a near objective and clear parameter of 'success'. It is quite another to embark on and embrace a process that is rife with setbacks and discouraging challenges along its' entire course.

I salute you, Pam. I thank God that he has placed home schooling on your heart and given you the desire to do it prayerfully.

Anonymous said...

Pam,

I think what your are building in your precious children is so beautiful. I admire your work every time I see them!

-Amy

swirlingeddy said...

Vonda and I are so grateful for parents like you and Andy that are a good example for us.

Pam said...

You all are so kind.