As we began our fifth year of homeschooling, EB began with, "Mom how many days are we going to have to do this?" I was a little confused by her question and asked her to clarify. She repeated herself, adding, "how many days will we do school until we're all done?" Getting more clarification, I understood her to mean, "how many years until we're completely finished." I said, "well, it will take about 13 years to do all of school, then you'll go to college." Big, wide eyes. She has been thrilled to start again. Enthusiastic about the little things like new crayons. Little-G began "school" too. She thinks she's in something like 3rd grade. She has her own 3-ring bound notebook to hold all her papers. She sits down in her chair with us each day expecting some school work from me. She jumped up and down when I told her she could start.
Daddy surprised everyone with breakfast on the table the first day. Each kid had a stack of cinnamon toast, cut into the letter S, E or G. Orange juice and fresh strawberries were included. He made them groovy "Welcome back to School" signs. The house was cleaned.
It has been a fulfilling week and everyone seems happy to be back into the routine. The theme this year is Other Countries and Cultures. The kids get passports in a few weeks. There are going to be many ethnic meals around here. Can you spell R-I-C-E? I have heard that we will be having some cultural visitors into the classroom. I'm working on my best German, Spanish and Brazilian accents...Anyone own a kimono?
Today we're off to take great gram to the butterfly exhibit at Como Zoo. After weeks and weeks of eating, our own brood of Polyphemus moths recently went into the cocoon stage. I think they'll be over wintering here. There's always something surviving in a jar. Just wait until we get to disecting frogs and brains.
I am looking forward to the year as well. In the weeks preceeding school, I usually feel some anxiety and apprehension mixed with excitement. So, I place my trust in God, looking to Him for my strength and hope. Lord I believe that you have good things in mind for us. Please help me to know that.
2 Samuel 7:28 O Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your words are trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant. Now be pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever in your sight."
3 comments:
Oh, I'm excited for you guys! What a fun theme--other countries & cultures. I'd love to be in on that!
I loved your first week update. Sounds like you're off to a great start. And I love the verse you included at the end.
P.S. I tagged you on my blog.
Pam, stay the course! So worth it. you are placing your treasure in the eternal.
Sounds like a perfect first day!
Pam, you are an incredible teacher to those kids! Know that I am praying for you and your chitlins this year, despite my abrupt jump of the homeschool/public school fence.
Post a Comment