Saturday, December 06, 2008

breaking trail


At seven I woke up to a sno-globe sky, grabbed my cross country skis and headed to the trails. The first ski of the season. It felt wonderful skimming through the woods and hills, the trails only interrupted by the suggestion that fox, deer and mice were around. The deer revealed their whereabouts and snorted at me, irritated that I broke their rest and quiet. The wind whipped my face, freezing eyelashes, filling my lungs with cool, wake-up-the-morning air. I had it all to myself.

A morning spent with a season in between. Winter come soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this "cross country skiing" you speak of to be a major work out of but yet somehow you nearly convinced me to try it again with the beauty of your description. To Play it again Sports I go, I guess. :)

Pam said...

Yes, or Goodwill. They have cheap skis sometimes too! Get out and go! You have some beautiful parks and trails near your place.