Monday, October 03, 2005

what matters

Interesting thing happened here in our quiet little town a few months ago. The paper did a report on the towns only "homeless" man. He actually owns a home. A very worn out mansion on Third Street. A town eyesore and in need of demolition. It has been neglected for years-a visual result of some heartache that occurred many years ago in his life. No family evident. I hear that he was a brilliant science sort. The paper reflected him negatively and instead of seeing the situation from the heart, they nit picked on his appearance and apparent negative personality. When we read it, we were ashamed of the paper and many residents wrote in letters to the editor expressing the lack of professionalism and sensitivity on the reporters part.

And then a good thing happened. The town rallied behind him. A contractor offered to fix many of the homes structural problems- all free. Others volunteered to plant new landscape, paint the interiors and replace old fixtures. A bank account was set up for people to donate funds on his behalf. I wondered if the generosity would last and I'm seeing that it has. A few days ago I drove by and the home has a new roof and much of the garbage is being removed from the front yard. My neighbor (who has an amazing heart for giving) dropped by my place with three new pairs of skates, found in his attic. She had been spending many tireless hours cleaning the old carriage house behind his.

And today I noticed my neighbor, sitting out on her porch talking with someone. Being that I wasn't wearing my glasses, I assumed it was her daughter. Later I went out to chat with her and here she had been talking with this man. Spending her afternoon hours, just shooting the breeze. He, clearly the picture of hardship, but kind in word.

So here I am today, washing some dishes, glancing out my window and watching someone be like Jesus. I only pray that I can be the same.

No comments: