Camping, as most of you know is probably our favorite pastime. If it came down to it, I could happily live in a tent. This weekend I will get to. The family is headed north to star-gaze, hike, explore, view waterfalls and eat jiffy popcorn.
In celebration of our first family camping trip of the year, I will be cooking one of our favorite recipes. Now you can too. A nice hot fire will do.
Apple Crisp
time: 1hr. 25 min.
serves: Two, or one really hungry person.
2c dried apples (I like Fresh & Natural's in-house brand)
2c boiling water
1/4c flour
1/4c rolled oats
1/3c brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
butter
1. Bring 2c water to a boil, add dried apples, let stand 1 hour covered.
2. Premix (for those going camping) the rest of the ingredients, except the butter.
3. When apples are hydrated, use fork and add just enough butter to make the dry ingredients into crumbles.
4. Place apples in pan and top with crumble mixture.
5. Place pan on flat surface right along side hot fire (not on top of).
6. Fold in half a large piece of foil, stand on end in V-shape. Place foil along the side of pan that is away from the fire. This will reflect the heat and mimic an outdoor oven.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, enjoy, and share if you really have to.
1 comment:
I would've never thought to make that on a camping trip. You go girl! Hope you and the fam have a fabulous trip and don't get rained out!
Post a Comment